Friday, October 24, 2008

Little P Says to Rock the Vote



I have a confession to make. Even though I am almost 30, I have never voted. I was always away at school or never registered in the place where I was living during the times that the elections rolled around. However, since moving to Florida, I made sure to register in my county and yesterday, the hubby, little P and I went to early voting and cast our ballots. I realized that it was my duty as a US citizen as well as my duty as a mother to make sure I voted this year. You see, as soon as little P came into this world, I realized I had this new awesome responsibility as a parent. (This realization even caused me to break down in tears several times on our way home from the hospital; I just couldn't believe the nurses allowed the hubby and I to take this little creature home with us!) And I feel that an important aspect of being a good parent is to do everything possible to ensure the best future for my child and any future children. I might not be able to single-handedly fix all the problems this country is facing at the moment but at least I can try to help bring into office the best person to address the economic crisis, health care, education, the environment and foreign relations so that little P and his future sibs will have a wonderful world to live in. Sure I feel guilty for not taking advantage of my right to vote sooner but I am happy that I didn't let another opportunity pass me by and that I made little P a part of the experience too. After all, not many 6 week olds can say they've been to the polls.

2 comments:

FunnyGal KAT said...

You've never voted?!? I can say I've never missed an opportunity to vote because, like you, I feel it is so important to participate.

The first thing the Pretend Husband and I did when we moved was register to vote.

I won't ask who you voted for, but hopefully it's the same person I am, so we can still be friends!

Srg said...

I don't think I've ever missed an election since I turned 18. And once I had B, I made sure that he came with me everytime I went to go vote. Sometimes he's even gone twice! Once in the AM with daddy and again in the PM with me. And up until last year when they replaced our old voting machines with these new-fangled scanner things, B used to pull the levers for me! Mommy would point and B would pull. These new scanner things are no fun that way.